The Information We Collect
Lord & Taylor may have personal information about you (such as your name, address, age, telephone number, or e-mail address). If you do not want your personal information collected, please do not submit it to us. If you have already submitted this information and would like us to remove it from our records, please contact us at the email address listed on the contact page of the web site. We do not give or sell any user information to any third party except for affiliates and third parties directly involved in the operations of our business. These business partners agree to our confidentiality requirements. (See the Sharing of Information section below). We may also disclose your personal information when required by law or court order.
During your visit to our web site, we may request for you to provide us or you may otherwise voluntarily provide us certain personal information that we collect to facilitate your order or improve your user experience. For example:
- When you order from us, we collect your name, address, e-mail address, phone number and credit card number (with expiration date). We also gather information on the person who will receive any gift you send (e.g., that person’s name and address) and retain a record of your purchases. If you are a registered user and have signed in when you enter this information, the gift recipient information is automatically saved in your Address Book for your reference.
- When you request to be on our email list, we collect your e-mail address. When you ask to receive a Lord & Taylor catalog or join our mailing list, we collect your name and address. At any time, you have the option to remove yourself from either our mailing list or our e-mail list, or to continue to receive promotional materials from us without having your information shared with third parties for marketing purposes.
- When you submit a question to customer service, we need your e-mail address to respond, and you also may provide us with various types of information to allow us to answer your question.
- When you visit our web site, we also collect anonymous information from you. This includes the Internet browser you are using, the computer operating system you are using, time spent visiting the web site, usage patterns within the web site, and the domain name of the web site from which you linked to our site. This information is not matched to your personal information and does not personally identify you. We collect this information to help improve your experience on the web site.
When you provide us with your mobile number, we may send you certain marketing alerts. Standard data and message rates will apply. See “Unsubscribe” below for additional info. We use Google Analytics, a service provider, to help us gather and understand information about our customers and their visits and purchasing activities on our web site. The information collected is completely anonymous and is not matched to your personal information and does not personally identify you. Google Analytics only role is to help us conduct our business and serve you better. If you would like to deactivate our ability to collect your browsing and purchase behavior through the use of this service, click here.
Each time we send an e-mail offer, we provide people with the opportunity to opt-out of receiving future e- mail offers. We may also acquire personal information when you make a purchase in our stores or on our website or when you enter one of our contests or other public relations events.
The Use of Information
We may use your information for a variety of purposes, including the following:
- To enhance your online shopping experience. For example, we may use it to recognize you and welcome you to the site.
- To improve your overall Lord & Taylor experience. In order to serve you better, we may combine the information you provide us online, in our stores and through our catalogs.
- To better direct our marketing and promotional communications. We may use information to determine the types of merchandise and events you may be interested in resulting in sending you offers for discounts or promotions, highlighting new arrivals or site features.
If you do not wish to receive e-mail from us, please see Options Regarding the Use of Your Information for instructions on how to unsubscribe.
The Sharing of Information
The information gathered may be shared with our owners, our affiliates and with certain third parties, including companies with which we have a business relationship. These companies agree to our confidentiality requirements. Some examples of these companies are:
- Lordandtaylor.com may enter into a “co-branding” relationship with another web site that offers you products or services (e.g., flowers). In those cases, you may link from lordandtaylor.com to another site to purchase the item. In that case, both lordandtaylor.com and the other web site may receive your information.
- Lordandtaylor.com may team with a partner to conduct a sweepstakes or other event (e.g., a live web chat). In those cases, each of the participating web sites may collect or receive personal information from you.
- For some of our products, lordandtaylor.com may provide you with a link to the supplier of that product so that you may get further information. If you link to the supplier’s site, the supplier may collect or receive information about you according to its stated policy.
- Like other companies, lordandtaylor.com may use an outside company to place its advertising banners or links on other sites. In certain cases, the advertiser may collect information on people who click on the banner or link.
In most of the above situations, these third parties will receive your information because you will be visiting their web sites or using their links and, in doing so, you may provide information directly to them. You therefore should refer to their privacy policies to understand how they handle your information and what kinds of choices you have.
Lord & Taylor also may share your personal information with outside companies that perform services for Lord & Taylor. For example, we may retain an outside company to manage a database containing certain customer information or to create and distribute an e-mail offering or mobile alerts. When you purchase a gift card, Lord and Taylor may share your information with a partner that provides the gift cards for lordandtaylor.com. In those situations, the outside party is performing work for Lord & Taylor, and Lord & Taylor takes appropriate steps designed to ensure your information is used only to provide the services requested by Lord & Taylor, and not for other purposes. Additionally, Lord & Taylor may share account or other information when we believe it is necessary to comply with the law or to protect our interests or property. This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers or government agencies in connection with issues related to fraud or government subpoenas and warrants.
And in the event that some or all of the business assets of Lord & Taylor are sold or transferred, we generally would transfer the corresponding information about our customers.
Options Regarding the Use of Your Information
We provide you with the following options regarding the handling of your personal information online and offline.
If you no longer wish to receive mobile alerts from us, you can reply STOP to any Lord & Taylor alert and we will cease sending mobile alerts to your device.
If you do not want to receive e-mail from lordandtaylor.com please follow the steps outlined below to submit a request electronically:
If you do not want to receive e-mails, please log into your account, select “My E-mail Preferences” and uncheck the box indicating that you wish to receive e-mails. (Please note that every time we send you an email, we will give you the option to unsubscribe from our e-mail list, so you’ll be able to stop our e-mails at any time). Please allow 10 business days for your request to take effect.
If you shop at our Lord & Taylor stores or through the Lord & Taylor catalog and wish to be removed from the list of customers that receive direct mail or from our telemarketing lists, please contact us at: Lord & Taylor, 424 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10018, Attention: Marketing Mail Services.
If you choose to contact us in writing, please include your name, address, phone number and Lord & Taylor credit card account number (if you have one), and state the following:
I no longer want to receive direct mailing from Lord & Taylor. and/or I no longer want to be part of Lord & Taylor’s telemarketing list.
Since customer lists often are prepared well in advance of an offering (sometimes 2-3 months before the offer is made), you may continue to receive some offers after you send us a request not to use your information for specified marketing purposes. We appreciate your patience and understanding in giving us time to carry out your request. Since customer lists often are prepared
Lord & Taylor is committed to doing its best to maintain the security of information collected on its site. To try to prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure information we collect online. To the extent customer information is maintained, it is located on a secured server behind a firewall; it is not directly connected to the internet. The firewall meets recognized industry standards.
We use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology, the most widely used data encryption coding system for secure e-commerce transactions. Encryption is a process by which a message or information is scrambled while it is in transit to lordandtaylor.com. It is based on a key that has two different parts, public and private. The public part of the key is distributed to those with whom you want to communicate. The private part is for the recipient’s use only. So long as you use a browser that allows for encryption, when you send personal information to us, you use a public key to encrypt your personal information. If your information is intercepted during the transmission, it is scrambled and very difficult to decrypt. Once we receive your encrypted personal information, we use the private part of our key to decode it.
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act took effect on April 21, 2000, as amended, and imposes certain requirements on web sites directed toward children under 13 that collect information on those children, or on web sites that know they are collecting information on children under the age of 13. It currently is lordandtaylor.com’s policy not to knowingly request or collect personal information on any person under 13. If we become aware that an individual is under the age of 13 and has submitted any information to us for any purpose without prior verifiable parental consent, we will delete his or her information from our files. In addition, if a parent or guardian becomes aware that a child has submitted personal information, that parent or guardian should immediately tell us that they would like this information deleted from our records by contacting us at the email address listed on the contact page of the web site. Upon receipt of such written notice we will delete the child’s information from our existing files.
Your confidence in the lordandtaylor.com shopping experience is our highest priority. If you have any concerns about privacy and security that have not been answered in the following policy, please contact us.
California Transparency Supply Chains Act
In accordance with the California “Supply Chains Act” Lord & Taylor notes that it has a zero- tolerance policy for both forced labor and child labor. Lord & Taylor requires that our overseas and domestic suppliers abide by our Social Compliance program. The Social Compliance program includes the Supplier Code of Conduct and the Social Compliance Manual.
Lord & Taylor ensures that suppliers must abide by the Supplier Code of Conduct, which prohibits forced labor, child labor, harassment, abuse and discrimination. Additionally, the Supplier Code of Conduct protects the supplier’s employee’s rights by setting minimum lawful standards for their health, safety, wages, and benefits, while also maintaining reasonable and lawful work hours. Each supplier is given a Social Compliance Manual to ensure that these fair practices are continued regularly.
Lord & Taylor and its agents also reserve the right to audit suppliers and continually verify that each of our suppliers is in compliance with the applicable laws of the country. Lord & Taylor is committed to ensuring that our suppliers mirror how we value human rights.